Thursday, May 29, 2008

Time for a wax

Waxing - Something we all loath but can't live without doing. I still think the laser hair removal sounds like the perfect solution to the "hairy problem" but of course it is pricey and there are a lot of other things I'd rather do with the money. Hopefully, one day!

So until then I have to, like most women put myself through the painful and in my opinion demeaning waxing episodes at least every 4 weeks. I always thought that a gynecologist would be the only person that would ever see me in such a compromising position. But like most girls will attest a bikini wax is right up there with a visit to the gyne as far as embarrassment goes (well, for me at least). "Can I use that towel to cover my face with rather, pleeeeeeease"? And, "no...it doesn't burn so you can please stop blowing on it now"! LOL! Will never forget that, Edith!

Philips Epilator

Over the years I've been for many waxes but I have also been using an epilator in between. Many of my friends ask if it isn't painful to use, but I really don't mind it. I do think that a wax is a lot better and leaves my legs a lot smoother but, I figured that it's not always convenient to go to the salon and when needed I quickly do a 10min epilator job and I'm good to go for another week or so. I even use the epilator under my arms...I know, I'm mad! It really works though. The 1st time is very painful but once you've done it once and keep doing it, it is actually not that bad. You just shouldn't shave in between because that makes the hair grow back coarse which of course hurts like hell when you epilate after that. I can go for up to 2 weeks without epilating under my arms. The hair grows back soft and has become a lot less over the years. I would definitely recommend it to those of you with a high pain threshold.

So back to the waxing and the embarrassing bikini waxes. I have actually been waxing my own bikini line for some time now. It is not just because I feel uncomfortable, I also just figure, why pay someone to hurt you! I'd much rather use that money for a different spa treatment that I actually enjoy :-)

I used hot wax and paper strips for the past 2 years and even brought the wax pot (thanks Jacqueline) with me to Jakarta. Many different kinds of waxes were available in India and it was really cheap. About $1.5 for a pot that would last you about half a year.

I've been to a lot of Apoteke's (pharmacies), health and beauty stores in the South of Jakarta but I haven't been able to find any wax or wax strips.

I finally decided to just go for a wax. There are many beauty salons in Jakarta and I decided to try Puri Santi in Cipete.

It is a lovely salon and I will definitely go back to try one of their other treatments but definitely not for a wax!

I asked for a full leg wax and said that I will decide if I want a bikini (Luckily I've learnt). Long story short, she started waxing (luckily she didn't start with the bikini) and I realised that there was no way I could put myself through an hour of what I can only call a amateur "patch work" wax. I apologised for perhaps being rude and explained that if it's alright I'd rather not carry on with the wax job. I just couldn't get myself to pay $25 for a wax (legs and bikini) that I could do better myself.

Note: I hope to have more positive reviews about their other services soonest. Watch this space!
The only problem was that I still didn't have any wax to do it myself. I did one of my quick epilator jobs on my legs and I managed to find:

Sally Hansen Extra Strength Brazilian Bikini Waxing & Shaping Kit


I ended up spending $20 on the kit which I should get at least 3 bikni waxes out of. "Still not sure what the mirror is for" LOL ;-)

It worked well. Like with a lot of products it doesn't work exactly like the instructions indicates though. I had to microwave it for longer than the indicated 20 seconds and 3 times during the wax as it goes thick again quickly. I still prefer the bekini strip wax though but beggers can't be choosers. Over all this product is actually very good. It got rid of the hair easily and left my skin feeling soft and smooth and didn't irritate or leave my skin red at all.

No comments: