Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Normal vs. Waterproof Mascara

I need new mascara and have been looking for my L'Oreal Double Extention Mascara which I've been using for some time now.

I really like this product. It actually does extend your lashes and it feels soft and looks natural. I do find that it works better when it's new though. Don't know if it's just me but once you've used it for a while, even if you make sure not to use the extender side with the white mascara over the black and making sure that you wash all the mascara off before you re-apply, it still somehow gets discolored after a while and for some reason doesn't extend as well as a brand new one.

I have used other brands of more expensive mascara's like Almay, Estee Lauder etc. but found that L'Oreal, Maybellene and Revlon was just as good. But to my frustration I can only find waterproof mascara here (at least in all the shops I went to) and I HATE waterproof mascara.

I was in the shop again today and I was very tempted to just buy a waterproof one but I decided against it. I will first go to the mall where they sell the big houses like Clarins, Este Lauder, Clinique etc. and hopefully they will have normal mascara.

I did a bit of research on the Internet about whether or not waterproof mascara is actually good for you. I was happy to find out that I'm not the only person that doesn't like it (clearly the Indonesians love it though).

Why I don't like using waterproof:

Though I don't believe waterproof mascara is necessarily bad for your eyelashes I just find that it is a real mission to remove, even with a good eye makeup remover, you might think you do but, you never get it all off and your lashes are left dry and worse of all, I found that my lashes fell out.

After reading up on some tips and comments about using waterproof mascara I realise that I wasn't gentle enough and probably pulled them out, rubbing to hard, trying to get it all off. And that, I also believe causes wrinkles. The area around your eyes are super sensitive and you should never pull, rub or wipe to hard around your eyes. That is also why you have to use your ring finger to dab and not rub your eye cream in.

But like most things in life, it is a personal choice. But, I do believe that if you've always used waterproof you should perhaps just try using normal once. You will really feel the difference and I even believe you might decide to change to normal or at least only wear waterproof when you know you'll need it.

Because really: Unless your job is reviewing tear jerker movies, why would you need to wear waterproof every day?

No comments: