Tuesday, June 3, 2008

The wonderful world of Make-up

When I was researching waterproof vs. normal mascara I came across a couple of forums that discussed this as well as the topic "why we wear make up, at all" and it got me thinking....This is my thoughts around it:

Even though I admit to being a "product junkie" I have never been one for a lot of make-up. I guess I owe that to my mom. My mom is a beautiful woman and she has never really needed to cake on the make up. A little bit of mascara and lipstick was all she ever needed. Even now at the age of 53 my mom hardly ever wears foundation or heavy eye make up.
















Left: My mom (Christa) with only mascara and lip gloss Right: More make-up

Having said that, I also remember my mom telling me that they used to use shoe polish as mascara when they were younger. I used to love watching my mom "doll up", doing her evening make-up, thinking and commenting on how amazing she looked with make-up. And like most little girls I also remember playing dress up and using my mom's make-up, even doing her make-up for her (okay, so she probably re-did it in the end). And then of course the very important milestone in any young girls life, the first time I got to wear make-up to a school dance.

Make-up has been around since the time of the Ancient Egyptians. "Everybody else is doing it, so why can't we" right? It is just one of those things we learned to do, just like brushing our teeth, cutting our nails or cutting our hair. And it has become something that most women (and even some guys) just can't live without.

I remember being so shocked when I found out that one of my friend's, (then) boyfriend had never seen her without make-up on. But then again, I don't think anyone ever did. This was more than 10 years ago and I haven't seen her for years, but I really hope she doesn't still do this. It isn't just bad for your skin but also very sad that someone can be so insecure and unhappy with themselves, that they end up hiding behind a mask, and that no one ever really knows what they really look like.

Another friend of mine once visited a mutual acquaintance of ours in hospital and when she walked into the ward she looked around the room but couldn't see her friend. She thought she had the wrong room so she went back to the nurses station to check but as it turned out she was in the right ward. The friend must have seen her walk out because when she went back in, she of course said "hey, why did you walk out, everything okay"? Truth is, she didn't have any make-up on and because my friend had never seen her without make-up (and she used to wear a lot), she looked straight at her but didn't recognise her.

Make-up sure is a wonderful thing though and I would hate to live without it. But, it should be used to enhance our features and not become a mask we hide behind. I prefer the "Al natural" look during the day.

"Less is more"

If you have to choose only 2 make-up products that you absolutely can't live without, let it be your mascara and a lip balm/gloss. And if you (like me) have the occasional blemish or 3 to try and disguise, try using a concealer rather than foundation.

Foundations, Powders, heavy eye liners, eye shadows, mascara and that kind of 'face painting' is only really required in the evening.

No comments: