Friday, June 27, 2008

Here's to good health!

It's been nearly 3 weeks since I started my new health kick. Notice that I'm not calling it a diet... In fact I've given up trying to loose the extra 4kg that I've been carrying around for probably the past 5 years, looooong ago. I tried and tried, but I've just don't seem to get my weight down, and that's ok.... It's of course good to know how much you weigh and to try and always keep your weight within 2kg of what I call your "happy weight". There is nothing worse than trying to shed 5-10kg (been there, done that got the T-shirt and definitely aint going back) but 1 or 2kg are easily manageable. Just a week of being "GOOD" and you're back!!!

But more than just the weight on the scale, I think your clothes are a pretty good gage for determining whether or not you have gained weight. Just pull that old pair of "skinny" jeans/trousers out of the closet from time to time and when they shout "O no" even before you get them over your knees you will know to order a salad instead of fries with your meal. Also, don't buy a size bigger when you go shopping - If it doesn't fit, don't buy it.

Prevention is better than cure:

I try to stick to my rule that "treats" (only when I crave it) ice-cream, chocolates, crisps etc. are only allowed on weekends. Unless it is a special occasion.

And when I feel that my favorite pair of pants are a bit tight I just cut my carb and sugar in take and try the NO carbs after 4pm rule for a week.

Having said that, it shouldn't only be about managing those unwanted kilograms. We have heard it all before...."eat more vegetables and fruit, drink water, consume less alcohol, don't smoke and the list goes on. There are so many books and internet sites dedicated to educating us about "what you put in is what you get out". And over the years I have read it all and tried it all. I've tried special supplements, received many different expert opinions, from online health plans to dietitians personalised diets, all attempts to achieve optimum health.

I am by no means an expert in any of this. But I have decided to go back to basics:

If there was something called "Good Health for Dummies" I would imagine that the fist thing they would teach you would be that you should eat 2 fruit and 5 vegetables per day. Now I know nutrition is a lot more complicated than "an apple a day keeps the Dr. away" . I have decided to try (very seriously this time) to change my lifestyle by just eating the required portions of fruit and veg. per day, rich in antioxidants and all the other good stuff that my body needs.

The problem with eating healthily is that it isn't always convenient. It is one thing grabbing an apple or banana but you can't exactly run out of the house with a bunch of spinach in your hands. And the leafy greens are what we need to eat more of. For a long time my vegetable in take consisted of capsicum, onions, zuccinni, eggplant, tomato, cucumber, lettuce and definitely not 5 portions per day, more like 5 portions per week.

I have been very good the past 3 weeks. I've been making sure that I always have fresh veg and fruit in the fridge, which forces me to use it before it goes off. Snacking on raw carrots and celery and making juice, blending carrots, celery and apple together.

After watching an episode of Oprah I decided to try the Dr. Oz green drink and I love it. There are a couple of different recipes on the internet but this is how I made it.

Green Drink (enough for 1 glass):

Blend together a hand full of Spinach, a celery stick, half a peeled apple and cucumber, fresh ginger and lemon to taste, add water and ice and voila you have a refreshing juice and you can actually taste the goodness.
















TRY IT!

According to the experts, eating your fruit and veg holds a promise of improved health and is also the best anti-aging prevention approach.

Take this quiz to find out if you are eating enought fruit and vegetables!

No comments: