Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Threading

What Is Threading Hair Removal?

Threading is a proven age-old form of facial hair removal practiced in India, China and Middle East. The procedure uses a 100% cotton thread which is twisted and pulled along the skin surface of unwanted hair, lifting hair directly from the follicle. As the facial hair is removed, only a slight pinch is felt.

I went with Marc to have his hair cut one day at a barber shop in Benmore Gardens, Sandton and I was quite intrigued and wondered what the Barber was doing with a roll off thread, holding one end in his mouth while moving up and down over a mans face. Naturally I had to ask, and the guy kindly showed me how he removed facial hair with this technique called "threading".


















I never wondered about it again really, because I never heard anyone talk about it, or saw it done anywhere, until we moved to Asia. When we moved to India I suddenly saw threading being done everywhere and all my friends raved about this wonderful way to shape your eye brows. And I must admit, it is by far the best way to get rid of unwanted facial hair. I have never had such neat, perfectly shaped eye brows. I even started threading my upper lip and once I also had my chin done. It used to cost me about $1 to have my eye brows shaped.

So, if you've never had threading done, you should definitely try it. A warning though; some people might find it really painful. I had a friend that couldn't bare her upper lip being done but if you are used to tweezing or waxing, and you have a high pain threshold this is by far the best method of removing those unwanted facial hair.

The first time I went to the hairdresser in Jakarta I was upset that they didn't do threading. I went to three other salons in the Kemang area determined to find someone that does threading, but sadly they didn't even know what I meant when I asked if they did treading.

We drove past a Waxing Studio sign on Ampera Raya a couple of times but because the salon is off Ampera Raya and I could physically see it, I just didn't know what to expect and never actually took the time to check it out.

After another bad waxing experience since my post on waxing. I decided to check it out, still hoping to find a place I could go to for a good leg wax that won't cost me a fortune.

Having lived in Vietnam and India I got used to the typical Asian (under $10) spa experiences and I guess I have become rather spoiled. Naturally it pains me to have to pay $30-$40 for a facial which I used to pay about $10 for. I did pay high spa prices when we lived in SA and I of course really enjoy the occasional treat of going to a really nice candle lit, incense filled spa, wearing fluffy white robes and slippers while relaxing to background "inner peace" music. But, I am used to and are very happy going to more "local" salons.

STUDIO WAXING Poetré, on Ampera Raya, pleasantly surprised me. I walked into this small, no frills but neat and clean "local" salon. What I mean by local is that they clearly don't cater for expats, when you compare their IDR35,000 for a full leg wax to the IDR170,000 at the other "expat" salons around Kemang.























I was very happy with my wax and I was even happier to hear that they do threading.

Address: Jln ampera raya no.60 (depan pengadilan jakarta selatan)

Coming from Kemang - Drive down Kemang Timur (becomes Ampera), it is on the right hand side.
Look out for a sign board: STUDIO WAXING Poetré

Tel: 021-7813841 (only one of the girls speak some English)

No comments: